Allergic Reaction Subsided

|
It was truly a relief to see no more nasty bumps on my daughter's face the next morning. Her face was only slightly puffy on one cheek but the itchiness went away. (Previous post). I didn't give her any allergy medicine but had her drink plenty of water to flush her system. I only applied anti-itchy cream on her face. Of course when her face broke out in bumps, I was watching to see if she had difficulty breathing and if she felt pain. Thanks to everyone who commented. I learned a lot from your responses. CVmom was the first to comment and her comment resonated with what I also heard about deadly food combo. As soon as I read Gwei Mui's response on fruit latex syndrome, I immediately did a quick research about it before retiring to bed. Gina and Lazy Pineapple's responses about the danger of the mango skin sap was alarming. I read on Instah.com and was very surprised to learn that the mango fruit belongs to the family of plant to which poison sumac and poison ivy also belong. There's a chemical called urshiol which is present in the peel of the mango fruit. This very same chemical  is also an active compound in poison oak leaves and is the cause of rashes from poison ivy. The amount of urshiol in mangoes is much less than poison ivy which is why the symptoms are much less severe.

I'm going to make sure that I wash the mango very thoroughly before and after peeling the skin before serving it to my daughter and I won't be letting her eat mango and banana on the same day.

18 comments:

Gwei Mui said...

Glad to hear that your Daughter is getting better and that the rash/hives are subsiding. I know how distressing this can be both as a sufferer and as a parent. Hopefully this will not happen again.

Buckeroomama said...

Glad to hear that her allergic reaction has subsided. I love mangoes, but my mom has always warned me that it's not the type of fruit that you should eat too much of in one sitting. She never said the same thing when I eat watermelons (which I LOVE!) or other fruits.

Icy BC said...

I hope your daughter feel better! I love mangoes and have been eating them for years, and some times with the peel still on it, though I did washed it!

Good to know about the relationship of mangoes to poison ivy and poison oak..

Mr. Stupid said...

I am glad she's alright now. An allergy due to eating two fruits together? That's scary.

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds said...

Strange stuff. If I can ever get my daughter to eat a mango I'll remember this.

So glad she's through the itchiness and that it wasn't more serious.

Autumn Belle said...

I am so happy to hear that your daughter is getting better now. What a relief. I read your previous post and found this very shocking. I never knew that the mango and banana can cause allery. Luckily, all is well now.

foongpc said...

Mango and banana caused the allergy? First time I hear of that! Btw, nice new template!

Just wondering is MY NICE GARDEN another one of your blogs?

Serline said...

Glad to hear that your daughter is ok. My hubby is hyper allergic; he cannot take aspirin, most pain killers and penicillin. Sometimes the most harmless food - ham & cheese sandwich - may set off a severe reaction. It is quite painful to see when it happens, as I feel so powerless to help him...

Lazy Pineapple said...

Good to know that your daughter is feeling better..Mango is also considered heavy for digestion so should be eaten in moderate quantities :)

But I know most people cannot resist mangoes :P

RoseBelle said...

@FoongPC - I can see how you can get confused. My Nice Garden is owned my Autumn Belle. She's in Malaysia. I'm from the U.S. Our usernames are quite similar AutumnBelle and RoseBelle.

AVCr8teur said...

I am glad to hear your daughter's face is better. Nothing worse than itchy skin! I was not aware of the dangers of mango. It's good to know since they are in season now.

KN said...

So mango is a relative of poison ivy and oak? That's scary. I love mangoes especially the manila mangoes. Gotta be careful when eating them now.

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Geee...sorry to read this. Hope thing goe well soon.

Jen said...

I never knew that about mangoes! Scary! I'm glad your daughter is better.

CVmom said...

That's good that the rash went away the next day. I'm surprised to learn about the family of mango. I thought mango was more related to other tropical fruits.

Erin said...

Oh how scary! I am glad your daughter is feeling better!!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Very interesting!! I never knew this. I love mango. I don't eat them though because I have fructose malabsorption and they are high in fructose. It's sad because I love them! Clearly, however, I don't love the skin!!

Alicia said...

Wow, I never knew that about mangoes! We love those!