Here's An Allergy Tip

|

See anything usual about my lily flower above?

My daughter and husband have allergies which is why I can't have certain types of flowers in the house. They're fine around flowers that have very little pollen such as roses, carnations, and orchids. Well, actually, roses are not low pollen flowers but a florist told me that the pollen in roses is too large to become airborne, which is good because airborne pollen trigger allergy attacks. On Mother's Day, my husband got a bouquet of flowers with several lilies. Lilies have A LOT of powdery pollen and I'm always good at cutting off the stigma and stamens from each flower but this time around, I totally forgot about removing them. Both husband and daughter got sick on the same day a week after the flowers were in the house. They both developed cold-like symptoms. Here's a close up of the flower without the stigma and stamens.


I'd also like to note that no allergy medicine really works for my daughter. My husband takes different types of antihistamine medicines that help somewhat only. As for my daughter, no medicine works on her. Sometimes she'll recover within two days and sometimes, like this time, a few weeks. It's been two weeks since her allergy attack and she still has a lingering cough. I hope one day we will have a science miracle to cure allergies. Best yet, there will be an allergy vaccine.

21 comments:

Mei Teng said...

Oh then you've got to be really careful about bringing in blooms that tend to have more pollen into your home.

I love lilies.

Ash said...

awww - i really hope that your daughter gets well soon. for an adult to deal with allergies is not as bad as the lil ones. i'll also be in line to buy that allergy vaccine.

~ash's mum

Gwei Mui said...

I sympathise - I too am a sufferer and nothing really works for me either! Was just about to post my next blog and up popped yours

Buckeroomama said...

I absolutely love those lilies and how they smell. I also cut off the stamen and the stigma, but mainly because they when those reddish things brush against your clothes, they leave bad stains.

Gratitude said...

Yup, noticed that these lilies produces so much of spores. I've even gotten my workshirt stained a few times. I agree with you that the best way is not to have this flower near your home, since both of your loved-ones react negatively to it.
+Ant+

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Rosebelle, when we moved to Canada, one of the first things I prayed hard for was my wife to not being allergic to pollen.
Oh ya, she allergic to cat fur too.
Fortunately not allergic to husband, arhaaaa ha ha.

According to my friends who suffer from this, "its worst than flu...more worse"!
Regret read your hubby and daughter have this problem.

You keep well and have a great week, Lee.

CVmom said...

What a great tip! My daughter has allergies too. She's allergic to molds but she does get sick from certain flowers too. I don't keep any flowers in the house for this reason.

TK said...

A lot of people are allergic to pollen especially the powdery ones. I would start sneezing if I go near flowers with powdery pollen. So, I'll be very careful..Hope your daughter will be ok soon. BTW, the Lily flower is beautiful indeed!!

Alicia said...

Ugh, I hate it when I start sneezing! My allergies have not affected me this much in so many years!

Cheryl said...

What a great tip you've shared! I had allergies when I was young but seemed to have "outgrown" some of them. Allergies are miserable and I feel sorry for your daughter and husband.

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds said...

I don't have much trouble with allergies, but I played piano at a church in my teens. I'll never forget the flowers at Easter making my eyes swell up and water. I had to ban them from using flowers to decorate the piano!

lotusleaf said...

I am also allergic to certain pollens. I find that a tablespoon of honey and some fresh lemon juice in warm water taken every morning helps build resistance. Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, the flowers had a nice scent. A blogger wrote to me that it is not Wisteria, but a White Locust tree.

nice A said...

Thanks for this great tip, RoseBelle. Never thought of this. My son used to have an asthma but thanks God he has outgrown it when he turned 7 as his doctor assured us. It's good Ventolin nebules worked well for him whenever he got asthma attacks.
Btw, thanks for stopping by my post and your kind thoughts. We're really thankful the riots and burning here finally ended.

Gina F said...

I don't have allergies are suffer from them. THANK GOD! I am so sorry that your husband and daughter does though. I really love that lily flower and they are my favorites. HAVE A GREAT MONDAY!!! :)

Gina
motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

Muthering Heights said...

My husband has terrible allergies...I'll remember this! Thanks for the tip! :)

Erin said...

I LOVE those! My fav flower...and they are so potent, when my son was born they made my husband take them home because they were bothering some of the nurses!

I hope the hubby and daughter are feeling better!

Veronica Lee said...

That's a great tip.
Luckily for us, none of us in the family have allergies from pollen.

Have a terrific Tuesday, Rosebelle!

Mr. Stupid said...

Oh. I just hope they get well soon. That lily looks so beautiful. Have a good day...:)

Superman said...

I read that people live in cold country will have bigger chance to develop allergic to something.
Hope your daughter will get well soon. Next time got to cut those 'evil' off.
The flowers you planted are really beautiful.

Serline said...

My hubby is hyper sensitive, so he pops an antihistamine every morning, 365 days a year... and that supposedly is half of what he should be taking!

Poetic Shutterbug said...

I adore these lilies and their scent. Though they do not bother me I know several people who are allergic. I hope your daughter is better soon.