Last night, my third grader daughter asked if I knew how old Dr. Seuss would be today and of course, I looked at her with confusion. Who? I asked. She said, "Dr. Seuss. Tomorrow is his birthday." I still didn't know who she was talking about. Then she said she wanted to wear blue socks to school tomorrow and that some of her classmates would be either bringing green eggs and ham sandwich for lunch, or dress up in their favorite Dr. Seuss character. It finally dawned on me which Dr. Seuss she was talking about. Her teacher gave the students heads up about Dr. Seuss 106th (googled it) birthday today and suggested everyone to bring something to share about the author.
We looked over some of Dr. Seuss' books at home and found my daughter's favorite one: Fox in Socks. I'm sooo glad my daughter didn't ask for green eggs and ham for lunch because 1) I hve no green food coloring, and 2) I don't want to put food coloring in her food. So it was a big PHEW that she wanted to wear blue socks and bring her book to share with the class.
I was curious about this author so I googled him: Full name is Theodor Seuss Geisel (March 2, 1904-September 24, 1991. He was a writer and cartoonist (I never knew that, thought he was just a writer).
Here's a list of Dr. Seuss top 10 quotes:
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #1
- You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #2
- Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #3
- From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #4
- Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #5
- Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way.
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #6
- If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #7
- I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent.
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #8
- So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #9
- And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.
- Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #10
- Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
Dr. Seuss photo credit: Image